What is Cardio and why do I need it?
Aerobic exercise – (also known as Cardio) is Physical exercise at a low or high intensity that depends primarily on the aerobic energy-process.
“What does that mean?” I hear you asking.
Basically, this means how much Oxygen is taken into the body to support energy out-put. Or how hard the heart is working to re Oxygenate the blood.
How can we do this?
The easiest way is to “move the body”. You do not need to do a lot to actually get the heart beating a bit faster. Even holding your arms over your head challenges the heart to beat harder to pass the blood up against gravity. Using your heart muscle like any other muscle is very important as if a muscle is not used it will shrink and become ineffective.
Walking, running, or swimming are all great ways to elevate your cardio output. If you can’t get out and about think about doing some big arm movements swinging or lifting arms around your head this will get the heart muscle working harder and re oxygenating your blood.
Among the recognised benefits of doing regular aerobic exercise are;
• Strengthening the muscles involved in respiration, to facilitate the flow of air in and out of the lungs
• Strengthening and enlarging the heart muscle, to improve its pumping efficiency and reduce the resting heart rate, known as aerobic conditioning
• Improving circulation efficiency and reducing blood pressure
• Increasing the total number of red blood cells in the body, facilitating transport of oxygen
• Improved mental health, including reducing stress and lowering the incidence of depression, as well as increased cognitive capacity.
• Reducing the risk for diabetes.
So let’s get moving, from a chair to a walk. The Sunshine Coast has amazing scenery to distract you from the actual exercise part and before you know it you will be feeling fitter and have more energy to spend on more fun things.
Or if you don’t have time for a walk come for a cardio class here at Oxygen Pilates.
Just get moving, you can ask one of our consultants what might be the best form of Cardio for you.